Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Digital 10: Digital Video

I really enjoyed creating this movie as I found it very simple and straight forward. My movie is very basic with images of different animals but after playing around with this tool you could create some very tricky high tech movies. I would implement this this movie in a biology class studying animal adaptations. I would show this clip to the class and ask them to write down the different animals they see. From there the students would create a concept map for each animal identifying different features that help the animal survive in its particular environment. This movie is designed to trigger ideas in students minds to be able to think of why animals have particular features.



This clip I have used from YouTube many times for teaching students about the brain. Students freak out when they hear all these weird and wonderful words of the anatomy of the brain so to help remember them and their location a song has been created sung by the cartoon characters Pinky and the Brain. Each lesson I would play the song but get students to fill in blanks of the song or write down or label a picture of the brain while listening to the song. By the end of the unit I created an activity for students to create a song about sensory receptors (part of the brain unit) and looked at how the human brain remembers little tunes and rhymes

3 comments:

  1. I also had great fun using movie maker. I can see myself using this tool regularly.

    Cool you tube video, it will reach those with a visual and musical learning style.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jo for your comment. I really love this clip and I get great feedback from my students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good work Ash, I could use this in my manual arts classroom buy getting students to take photos of their project at different stages and at the end of the project display them on movie maker as part of their assessment.

    ReplyDelete